Removing pollutants and allergens in your home’s air can do wonders for your health, and the quality of your life.
Did you know the air inside your home could be up to 100 times more polluted than the air outside? It’s true. The air we breathe in our homes is loaded with pollutants like pollen, lung-damaging dust, pet hair, dander, dust mites, mold spores, bacteria and viruses. No wonder the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency lists indoor air quality as one of the top five environmental risks to public health today. And if you think your standard 1″ throwaway furnace filter is doing the job, you couldn’t be more wrong – typical 1″ filters only trap about 5-15% of airborne particulates.
With homes being built and remodeled more insulated and tighter than ever – homes are becoming virtually draft-free. And while these changes are making homes more energy efficient, they are also creating a number of filtration problems. Particulates and pollutants become trapped and eventually build up inside your home, settling on countertops, floors and other surfaces. And with a standard throwaway furnace filter, only a small percentage of airborne pollutants are captured, with the majority of pollutants and particles being carried and re-circulated throughout your house via your air ducts and vents.
- Airborne pollutants – dust, dust mites, pet hair, dander, pollen, particulates from clothing and furniture.
- Biological contaminants – bacteria, viruses, mold spores, mildew.
- Odors and vapors – tobacco smoke, cooking grease
What You Can Do to Treat the Symptoms
- Open windows when weather and other conditions permit.
- Bathe pets regularly and keep pet beds and litter boxes away from vents.
- Change your furnace filter according to manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Run your heating and cooling system blower when vacuuming and dusting to circulate polluted air through your furnace filter.
- Keep relative humidity between 30 and 60 percent.
- Make sure kitchen, bathroom and other exhaust fans vent to the outside
Earthwise can integrate RGF air purification and Aprilaire media filtration into your new or existing air conditioning system.